Boxing

What sports ministry, stakeholders have said so far after Nigerian boxer’s death in Ghana

A Nigerian boxer, Gabriel Oluwasegun Olanrewaju, tragically passed away after collapsing during a fight in Ghana.

He was later pronounced dead at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital.

Olanrewaju collapsed during his bout against Ghana’s John Mbanugu on Saturday, March 29, 2025, at the Bukom Boxing Arena.

He had a strong start in what was a close contest before the tragic incident occurred in the third round. Olanrewaju had switched to a defensive stance while Mbanugu sought an opening.

The latter managed to break through Olanrewaju’s guard with a punch.

Although the strike was not a clean shot, Olanrewaju became dizzy, his eyes rolling back immediately before he collapsed onto the canvas.

Medics rushed into the ring as the referee struggled to remove the gum shield in the boxer’s mouth.

The boxer was later transported to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The incident has sparked a public outcry, with many demanding detailed information regarding the circumstances of his death.

The demands have triggered responses from major stakeholders involved in the Ghana Boxing League, except for the main organizers, IMAX Boxing Promotions. and the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA).

Here are reactions from some key stakeholders

Trust Sports Emporium (TSE)

The Trust Sports Emporium (TSE), managers of the multipurpose Bukom Arena, where the bout took place, confirmed the boxer’s passing in a press release and announced the postponement of the boxing league.

“It is with deep regret that the Trust Sports Emporium confirms the death of Nigerian boxer Gabriel Oluwasegun Olanrewaju, who collapsed in the ring during an IMAX Boxing League match at Bukom Boxing Arena and was later pronounced dead at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital.

“In view of the incident, the Emporium has postponed the proposed start of the Amateur Boxing League until all major issues arising from the boxer’s death have been duly addressed,” their statement said.

TSE also clarified that contrary to some reports, they were not the event organizers, emphasizing that IMAX Boxing Promotions was responsible for the competition.

“In the interim, it is important to highlight the following: The boxing event was not a Trust Sports Emporium event. The promoters were IMAX Boxing Promotions,” they added.

The organisation further stated that ensuring a safe environment is a priority, noting that medics and ambulances were present at the event.

“As part of our commitment to safety, we ensure that each event has medics and an ambulance on standby. These were present.

“Trust Sports Emporium remains dedicated to ensuring that all events held at its facilities take place under safe conditions,” it added.

Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA)

While the Ghana Boxing Authority has yet to release an official statement, its Communications Director, Mohammed Amin Lamptey, has suggested that the league should continue despite the tragedy.

“It’s normal. So, if today a colleague of ours has gone to cover an event and coincidentally or accidentally the person got injured and died in the process, must we also say that we aren’t going to practice journalism again? I don’t think so,” he told Citi FM.

Minister of Sports, Kofi Adams

Ghana’s Minister of Sports and Recreation, Kofi Adams, has extended his condolences to the family of the late Nigerian boxer.

He expressed deep sorrow over the incident and reassured the Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBBC) that Ghanaian authorities would cooperate with investigations.

“It is with profound sadness and a heavy heart that I, on behalf of the Ministry of Sports and Recreation and the Government of Ghana, extend my deepest condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Nigerian boxer Gabriel Oluwasegun, who tragically passed away following his contest at the Bukom Boxing Arena.

“Gabriel, a promising athlete who displayed exceptional talent, passion, and courage in the ring, passed away under unfortunate circumstances. His untimely departure not only deprives boxing of an admirable competitor but also reminds us of the unpredictable nature of the sport we passionately love,” he said.

The minister also assured the public that his office would support investigations and implement measures to prevent similar incidents in the future.

“While we await the official medical report regarding the cause of Gabriel’s passing, the ministry, together with the Ghana Boxing Authority, pledges full cooperation to ensure a thorough investigation and to support all efforts aimed at improving the safety of our athletes,” he added.

Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBBC)

Dr Rafiu Oladipo, President of the Nigeria Boxing Board of Control, has called on the Ghana Boxing Authority to provide a full explanation of the circumstances leading to Olanrewaju’s death.

Olanrewaju, a former West African light-heavyweight champion, was 40 years old.

Speaking to Sporty FM, Dr Oladipo acknowledged the sorrow within Nigeria’s boxing fraternity and demanded answers from Ghanaian authorities.

“The Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) needs to explain to us the circumstances that led to our boxer’s death. The Nigerian boxing fraternity is in a state of mourning. He has a wife and three children—who will take care of them? We need answers from the Ghana Boxing Authority.”

The exact cause of death remains unknown, but Dr Oladipo confirmed that an autopsy has been scheduled for Wednesday, April 2, 2025, due to public holidays in Ghana.

“We spoke to the GBA, but they told us Oluwasegun Olanrewaju’s body is at the mortuary. However, as it’s a holiday in Ghana, the autopsy will be done on Wednesday,” he stated.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Related Articles

Back to top button