Connect with us


Man shot after failed assassination of the president of Guyana



A 35-year-old Nigerian working at a cleaning service office, Bethel Ikenna Chimezie, has been shot after he allegedly attempted to assassinate the President of Guyana, Dr Irfaan Ali.

He stabbed one of the presidential bodyguards and started shooting at others before he was shot on Thursday morning.

Chimezie is already receiving medical attention at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) “under heavy police protection”.
He was said to have entered a security room located at the southern side of State House at Main, Carmichael and New Market Streets around 7:30 am, shouting repeatedly: “I want to see the president”.

When he was prevented from gaining access to the president, Chimezie pulled out a knife from his pants and stabbed Telon Perreira, a Presidential Guard, five times in the neck and body.
Other guards reportedly tried to restrain him, but he managed to disarm another of his 9MM pistol and retreated to Carmichael Street where he began shooting at them.

A witness said: “The President’s guards returned fire and the man returned fire as the guards pursued him to New Market Street, where he was eventually shot”.

Videos have surfaced of Chimezie being advised by citizens to drop the weapon as he lay wounded on the ground.

The suspect and the injured Presidential Guard are receiving medical attention at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).
The Guyana Police Force said a request has been dispatched to the International Criminal Police Organisation (INTERPOL) for more information on the attacker.

“The GPF has requested via INTERPOL a comprehensive background check on him; also whether he has any criminal history or whether he is linked to any criminal group,” a senior police officer said.
Later, Ali, with heavily-armed presidential guards, visited the hospital to check on the wellbeing of the security officer who was injured whilst fighting off Chimezie.



Verified by MonsterInsights