- A survey conducted in Agona West Constituency between 1st-18th October, 2020 has revealed that the incumbent Member of Parliament, Hon. Cynthia Mamle Morrison, who doubles as the Gender Minister will maintain her seat with 59.65% votes in the upcoming December 7 elections.
- The research was conducted by an independent body called Agona West Action Forum (AWAF) headed by Counsellor Daniel Fenyi who is also an educationist. The survey was conducted across six major towns in the constituency- Agona Swedru, Nyakrom, Abodom, Bobikuma, Nkum and Kwamang.
- The independently funded study had 1,217 respondents, comprising 573 males and 644 females, all natives and residents in the constituency. Purposive sampling was used to engage only floating eligible voters, i.e., all respondents were 18+ and none was a card bearing member of any party.
- The NDC Parliamentary candidate, Paul Ofori-Amoah, trailed behind Cynthia Morrison by obtaining 34.35% votes while the others (smaller parties, independent candidates, etc) cumulatively had 6.00% votes.
- In 2016, Hon. Cynthia had 58.03% while the then NDC Candidate, Lawyer Obeng Incoom, had 41.48%. It could be observed that, while Cynthia did not make a very significant improvement in her 2016 result, the NDC’s decline is quiet significant.
- The study, whose full details including some recommendations is yet to be delivered to the candidates hopes to inform and guide the political parties and candidates in Agona West Constituency on the voting patterns of the electorates so that they could design, structure and strategise their campaigns to suit the trends as the December 7 general election approaches.