Connect with us

Local sports

Scandal: How a brand-new Toyota Hilux car belonging to NSA vanished at a hotel in Kumasi

Published

on

National Sports Authority

Almost two years since a Government of Ghana car vanished at the premises of a hotel in Kumasi, Police and authorities seem to have no clue.

The brand-new 2018 Toyota Hilux Pickup was allegedly stolen, a couple of months after it was acquired.

Angel FM’s Saddick Adams tracks back events surrounding the loss of the vehicle and what we know so far.

Bankrupt NSA Has No Car

The National Sports Authority, the body mandated to regulated Sports in the country, has for some years, gone bankrupt. The body has been at the receiving end of several law suits.

In February 2017 for instance, had its bank accounts blocked after one of its creditors obtained a court order in bid to retrieve monies owed them over the past four years. The creditor won the suit and the only vehicle for the operations of the office confiscated. The Spokesperson Fredericka Davies-Mensah confirmed to newsmen that, Policemen stormed the premises with a bailiff and had the car taken away.

Top staff of the Authority had to do operational rounds in their private vehicle.
In November 2018, the NSA acquired two new Toyota Hilux Pick up cars for the use by the body, costing around GHC310,000.

One of the vehicles was kept in a pool at the Authority while the other was handed over to the Director General of the Authority, Professor Peter Twumasi, who was appointed in December 2018, weeks after the vehicles arrived.

Vehicle Not Registered by GV

Despite a Government of Ghana Directive for all vehicles acquired in the name of GoG to be registered under GV, the two vehicles failed to adhere to the directives for unknown reasons.

The vehicle was registered GX6551-18. According to checks by Saddick Adams, the vehicle was first insured under a third-party agreement.

Disappearance of Vehicle and Driver’s Narration

On September 5, 2019, the National Sports Authority Director was chauffeured to Kumasi by a driver of the NSA, by name Michael Andoh.

According to the driver, he had dropped the NSA Director at his residence near KNUST and proceeded to lodge at OWASS Hotel, some few kilometers from the KNUST Campus.

Mr Andoh narrated that, upon reaching the hotel, he was called by the aide to the NSA boss to drive to one hospital in the Ashanti Regional Capital, where a staff of the NSA was on admission.

Andoh, the driver drove in the company of the NSA Director’s aide to see the ailing staff. They both returned to the Hotel around 7pm. He parked the car at the hotel’s premises and accompanied the Director’s Personal Assistant to the road side where he picked a car.

Andoh then came back to the hotel, inspected the car and went into his room to sleep.

Between 3-4am on the dawn of 6th September 2019, Andoh says he heard loud knocks on his door only to open and meet the security man of the hotel. The NSA driver claim he was told by the security man that, the Director’s Personal Aide had been calling for several times and he Andoh was not picking.

He then checked his phone to see several missed calls from the PA.

He called back and was told by the PA that, the Director General had ordered for the two to go back to the hospital again to transfer the ailing staff since his condition had deteriorated.

Andoh says he was hesitant, since he knew it was impossible to get a doctor to transfer a patient at that time of the night and even if they were successful, the patient would have to be transported via an ambulance and not the NSA pickup.

He however picked his keys and dressed up to go pick the car since the order was from his boss. He got down to the car par and lo and behold, the car had vanished without any breakages or traces of damage.

The security officer at the hotel claimed he inspected the compound around 2am and the vehicle was intact, but here, it had disappeared in less than an hour without the security man getting any hint.

Andoh called his boss to report the incident and the two made formal complaints at the KNUST Police Stations. The security man at the hotel and Michael Andoh, the driver, were detained for some few hours and released.

The missing vehicle had three original keys, two of which were with the driver of the vehicle. The other key was with the Transport Officer at the National Sports Authority in Accra. The two keys are still with the beleaguered driver till date.

Conflicting Accounts

In a sharp contradiction to the driver’s narration, the Director General of the NSA, in an interview with Joy FM reporter Muftawu Nabila said “the car was with his driver Michael Andoh and he was robbed”.

Our reporters also gathered that, a facility near the Hotel of the incident had CCTV Cameras installed but when the driver with hotel management tried to access it to find out if they could trace the incident, the CCTV “did not function” that night, Michael claimed.

Driver’s Hotel Changed

The driver, Michael Andoh reveals that, he has been driving at the NSA for over 12 years and anytime they travel to Kumasi, he lodges at the Eno Yeboah Hotel near the Kumasi stadium. He parks his car at the stadium for maximum security before he returns to the hotel to pass the night.

According to him, this had always been the practice.

But few months before the vehicle was stolen, his boss, Mr Twumasi instructed that he changes his hotel to sleep closer to him, at the KNUST Hostel, reason for the decision to lodge at this new hotel where the car was stolen.

When our reporters went to the OWASS Hotel in April 2021, the security man at the centre of events, had been relieved of his duties and no longer works at the hotel. His whereabout were not disclosed.
The Police had also not invited Andoh, neither had they contacted the security man again, after they were released a day after the car disappeared.

NSA Institutes Internal Investigation

On 10th September 2019, the NSA Director set up a 3-member Committee to assist the investigative bodies and agencies with the following terms and references.

i. Unravel the circumstances that led to the disappearance of the of the vehicle;
ii. Liaise with the National Security including the Police in their investigation.
iii. Make recommendations to the management.

After few months of the committee’s investigations, the chairman of the committee was transferred from the head office to the Greater Accra NSA office, which caused delays in their operations.

As at 7th May 2021, before filing this story, the police had yet to submit any report to the Ministry of Sports or NSA.

When our reporters contacted the Director General Professor Twumasi, he indicated that matter was still with the Police and investigations underway.

He however added that, the car has been insured against theft so he is hopeful it would be replaced.

New Car Acquired

The National Sports Authority had to rent a Jeep car to be used by the Director General, at a cost of 500 cedis day for Accra and 800 cedis outside Accra, for nearly six months after the disappearance of the official vehicle.

Recently, the NSA acquired a Land Cruiser Prado to be used by the Director as his official car.

The controversial missing of the car, for almost two years, without any trace, is still a matter causing lot of musings and murmurings within and around the coffers of the debt-ridden NSA.

Source: Saddick Adams, Contributor

Local sports

Two Karela United fans arrested for assaulting Medeama players, five suspects on the run

Published

on

By

 

The two suspects will be sent to the Sekondi Regional Police Headquarters for further action

Two Karela United fans have been arrested for attacking Medeama players and smashing the windows of the team’s bus following a feisty FA Cup match at Aiyinase on Sunday while five more suspects remain on the run.

Two men – David Yankey nicknamed Akpale, 32, and Jonathan Essien, 33, have been arrested by the Tarkwa Police following a swoop on Sunday night.

The two suspects will be sent to the Sekondi Regional Police Headquarters for further action on Monday.

Seven suspects are believed to have instigated and attacked players of the visiting team and damaged the team’s bus following Karela United’s 2-1 defeat to Medeama in the FA Cup Round of 32.

GHANAsoccernet.com can report that five more suspects – who are based in Tarkwa’s Akoon are on the run for engaging in the dastardly act at the Crossby Awuah Park.

The Police are hot on the heels of five other suspects whose names are given as Isaac Arthur, Otwu, Palamo, Sunset and Kofi.

The Crossby Awuah park has been closed down indefinitely following the savage attacks requiring Medeama midfielder Eric Kwakwa to need stitches and team bus windows smashed.

The Pride and Passion has started an investigation into the unfortunate incident which has overshadowed the side’s FA Cup match at Aiyinase.

The match was overshadowed by massive crowd violence which has rocked the famous Cup competition.

Prince Opoku Agyemang opened the scoring in the first half, capitalizing on a defensive howler to give the visitors the lead.

Ebenezer Ackahbi increased the tally with a superb finish before Diawisie Taylor pulled one back for the visitors.

However, it’s the massive crowd trouble that has gained inches in the local media with a reported irate siege by the home fans.

Referee Philip Arthur-Forson was forced to delay the match on two occasions following the marauding attacks from the home fans.

Medeama midfielder Eric Kwakwa was hit with a stone as he made his way to the tunnel after the first half.

Military men detailed at the venue are had a torrid time controlling the home supporters in a highly volatile atmosphere at Aiyinase.

The match was held up several times with fans throwing missiles onto the pitch.

The military was forced onto the pitch to protect life and property in what has been an extraordinary scene at Aiyinase.

Some journalists were denied entry into the stadium with the game delayed closed to 30 minutes into the second half.

Source: ghanasoccernet.com

Continue Reading

Local sports

Liverpool sign Abdul Fatawu Issahaku as club president confirms deal

Published

on

By

 

Abdul Fatawu Issahaku,footballer

Liverpool has reportedly completed the signing of Ghanian wonderkid Abdul Fatawu Issahaku, according to his current club’s chairman.

Issahaku has become a rising star for Steadfast FC in the second tier of Ghanian football and for his national team’s youth sides over recent seasons.

In fact, he has impressed so much that a number of clubs were believed to be sizing up moves for the young attacking midfielder.

Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen were the side thought to be closest to completing a deal for the teenager, but it now appears that Jurgen Klopp’s Reds have won the race to sign him.

The 17-year-old has scored eight goals in 13 games for Steadfast, helping them to finish fourth in Zone One of the Division One League.

His performances earned him a call-up to Ghana Under 17s team, before getting promoted to the Under 20s for the U20 Africa Cup of Nations, held earlier this year.

Issahaku starred at the tournament, scoring two goals and notching one assist in six games as the Black Stars won their first AFCON title for 11 years.

He started every match on Ghana’s road to the trophy, with his performances seeing him named the tournament’s best player.

His displays appear to have attracted the eye of Liverpool, with Steadfast president and owner Haruna Iddrisu claiming a deal has been completed.

“When I started negotiation for Abdul Issahaku Fatawu’s move to abroad, it started from more than 1 million euros and this means if we get corporate sponsorships, we can do better,” he told Football Ghana.

“We need to do more to make our football attractive and by doing that we get more hands-on board to sponsor our football because on weekends.

“Football is the business everywhere so I am pleading to the corporate world. I am doing Steadfast for the love of football and for the people of my home town,” he added.

Football Ghana also reports that Leverkusen had agreed on a deal, but Liverpool moved in when it fell through at the final stage.

They state that the Reds have paid a fee in the region of £1.5million for the 17-year-old, who is said to have signed a five-year deal at Anfield.

But despite apparently signing the highly-rated star, Reds fans will not get an immediate glimpse of their side’s new signing.

That is because Klopp’s men have reportedly sent him straight out on loan to Portuguese top-flight side Sporting Lisbon.

Work permit concerns have also left some fearing that they may never get to see Issahaku in a Liverpool shirt.

If the difficulties over his permit do arise, Issahku’s move could go the way of Taiwo Awoniyi, who is still yet to make an appearance for the Reds since signing from Nigerian side Imperial Academy in 2015.

Source: happyghana.com

Continue Reading

Local sports

Gory pictures as hooligans parading as Karela United supporters attack Medeama bus after defeat

Published

on

By

 

Angry Karela fans attacked the Medeama bus

• The fans attacked the bus and injured midfielder Eric Kwakwa

• The Ghana Football Association has placed an indefinite ban on the CAM Park

• Some followers of the game are calling for prosecution of the fans

Fan violence continues to be part of Ghana’s football with Medeama Sporting Club becoming the latest club to suffer such unfortunate acts.

The Tarkwa-based club on Sunday, June 20, 2021, pulled a 2-1 victory over Karela United in round 32 of the MTN FA Cup.

The game as per reports went on smoothly but its aftermath was chaotic with a member of Medeama’s playing team now battling for his life.

Angry Karela United fans threw missiles into the Medeama bus on its way out of the Crosby Awuah Memorial Park with midfielder Eric Kwakwa sustaining severe injuries.

It has been reported the objects damaged Medeama’s bus and hit the head of Kwakwa who is now receiving treatment.

The attack has caught people in the football fraternity with surprise as fans of both Nzema clubs pledged to be of good behaviour ahead of the game.

In a quick response to the incident, the Ghana Football Association has placed an indefinite ban on the Crosby Awuah Memorial Park which is the home of Karela United.

A statement read: ”This decision was taken following assaults on players and officials at Aiyinase resulting in injuries and damage to property and unsporting behaviour by the home supporters in the MTN FA Cup Round of 32 tie between Karela United FC and Medeama SC on Sunday, June 20, 2021.

“The Executive Council invoked Articles 14(2) and 14(3) of the Ghana Premier League Regulations which empowers them to close down any league centre/venue where the safety of clubs, match officials and/or spectators cannot be guaranteed.

“The Ghana FA prosecutors have been tasked to proffer the appropriate charges for the Disciplinary Committee to sit on this matter expeditiously.”

Meanwhile, some followers of the game are calling on the Ghana Police Service to arrest and prosecute the hoodlums who carried out the act.

Jerome Otchere, the respected editor of Kotoko Express in a social media post said that until people are jailed for the attacks, nothing will change in Ghana football.

“How do we have fans do this to innocent footballers and still go home FREE? Our football suffers the mortal damage as match venues are sadly turned into violent, unsafe territories with Police inaction. How do we bring back the love in the face of this?” he tweeted.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021, The Press Radio Multimedia