Home / AFRICA NEWS / News Africa / Xenophobic attacks: No compensation for victims – S/African govt

Xenophobic attacks: No compensation for victims – S/African govt

The South African government has told victims of recent xenophobic attacks not to expect any form of compensation.

Dr. Naledi Pandor, Minister of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, said there was no provision for compensating those affected in the renewed attacks in the country.

In an interview with Reuters, Pandor said her country’s laws do not have provisions for such matters.

This is coming on the heels of officials of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration saying Nigeria would seek redress. Speaking in Abuja, Wednesday, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, insisted the Federal Government would press for compensation for the attacks and destruction of the businesses of Nigerians in South Africa.

The Federal Government had earlier demanded that Nigerians involved in the attacks should be recompensed.

 

Source: Polisonline.vcom.ng

About admin

Check Also

Manasseh Azure Awuni: The LGBTQ+ of Saudi Arabia and Ghana

I have a simple approach to and position on the vexed issue of lesbian, gay, …

Ivory Coast, Sao Tome receive syringes for COVAX vaccine rollout

The U.N. children’s fund UNICEF said on Tuesday it had sent an initial 100,000 syringes …

Zuma wants corruption trial ‘struck off’ as he again takes aim at the state

Former president Jacob Zuma’s foundation on Sunday night took another dig at the state, questioning …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by Live Score & Live Score App