Home / Fire guts Biriwa NVTI girls’ hostel, 240 students affected

Fire guts Biriwa NVTI girls’ hostel, 240 students affected

A ravaging fire on Thursday morning swept through most parts of the girls’ hostel of the Biriwa National Vocational Training Institute and Rehabilitation Center in the Mfantseman Municipality of the Central Region.

The fire consumed many items worth thousands of Ghana Cedis including students mattresses, books, beds, cooking utensils and undisclosed sums of money.

In all, about 12 rooms were affected but six rooms were burnt to ashes with over 240 students displaced.

All affected female students have been sent home to return on Saturday, September 29, as stakeholders put measures in place to safeguard their stay.

There was no death but four female students who could not comprehend the rate of devastation and heat emanating from the inferno collapsed and were rushed to Anomabo hospital for medical attention and later discharged.

Some male students who initially battled the fire in the absence of the GNFS sustained various degrees of injuries as others wailed in disbelief and utmost shock.

Social Hostel Fire

Briefing the GNA, Mrs Regina Lartey, a Senior House Mistress said the fire started around 0930 hours when classes were in session.

According to her, an eyewitness who pleaded anonymity observed thick smoke that enveloped parts of the building affecting visibility in the area and raised the alarm.

Authorities at the school immediately alerted the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) who turned up after half an hour.

She urged parents and students to exercise patience with school authorities as they work out solutions to the accommodation problem.

Some affected students who pleaded anonymity blamed the fire outbreak on the look-warm attitude of school authorities to find a lasting solution to faulty electrical cables in the facility.

“We have complained severally to school authorities about the unstable power supply, fluctuations in current, aged wires and electrical cables but have they have failed to fix them.”

The students appealed to all public-spirited organisations and individuals to come to their aid of the institution to rebuild the block.

Madam Gladys Mensah, a parent who had visited the school upon hearing the news suggested to the school authorities to counsel the victims to give them sound minds for their academic activities.

Meanwhile, some of the students said they have lost their school fees and pocket monies to the fire.

About admin

Check Also

Stock market rebounds on the back of GCB

Market Summary The benchmark index gained 3.80 points (+0.21%) on the back of GCB Bank …

SAD VIDEO: Yaw Sarpong cries for help after accident

Veteran Ghanaian Gospel musician, Yaw Sarpong, has narrated how the gory accident he had with …

Asamoah Gyan hits jackpot, set to earn $1 million at Legon Cities

Former Ghana captain, Asamoah Gyan is set for a final payday in his career with a move …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *