Connect with us

Akufo-Addo to name another woman as new Electoral Commissioner next week

Published

on

MyNewsGH.com can confirm that barring any last minute change of plans, President of the Republic of Ghana, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo will name another woman as replacement for sacked Electoral Commission Chairperson, Charlotte Osei and later, announce the names of the replacements for her two dismissed deputies; Georgina Amankwaa and Amadu Sulley.

Earlier, MyNewsGH.com reported how quickly the president intended to fill the vacuum as preparation for the next election is set to commence soon and the Commission needs a leadership in place as soon as possible. The EC is expected to also begin the process towards a referendum for the creation of new regions next year as well as the election of MMDCEs in 2019, to be followed by the ultimate 2020 elections.

Our sources close to the seat of government say, “the President doesn’t intend to look so much outside the current EC Team. But he is open to build consensus on the matter so things can change. What I can tell you MyNewsGH.com on authority is that the president has said the position should go to a woman who qualifies if other stakeholders will agree with him, and so far he has support for that.”

Asked about the intense lobbying ongoing for the EC top job within government, our source said “it is normal, we are a government and lobbying is part of the system. People see opportunities and feel they are qualified, nothing wrong with that. But the president knows the decision is beyond his government alone. Didn’t you see how he selected Martin Amidu as Special Prosecutor? Come on, the president understands consensus, you should know that by now”

MyNewsGH.com understands that government is yet unclear on whether EC boss intends to fight her sack or accept it in good fate, which would make progress towards her replacement and work on the next election faster.

Mrs Charlotte K.S Osei had said she will speak up after the heat on the death of former Vice President Amissah-Arthur subsides.

Earlier, MyNewsGH.com reported the words of Eugene Arhin thus:

“I can assure you that as quickly as possible the president of the republic will make some announcement as to the replacement. I wouldn’t be able to say if it is going to be a day, two days or a week, but as quickly as possible, the president will make an announcement in this regard,” Eugene Arhin had said on Citi FM.

Background

President Akufo-Addo on Thursday night announced in a statement that he had removed the Electoral Commission chairperson, Charlotte Osei and her two deputies, Amadu Sulley and Georgina Opoku Amankwah following the receipt of a report from a committee set up by the Chief Justice, Justice Sophia Akuffo, pursuant to Article 146(4) of the Constitution, to investigate separate complaints brought against her and her two deputies.

The Committee concluded that Charlotte Osei blatantly breached procurement laws in the award of several contracts in her three-year period at the helm of affairs, prior to the 2016 elections.

Excerpts of the report released by government says the committee investigated six separate allegations of various procurement breaches, for which a prima facie case was established against Madam Charlotte Osei.

The Committee recommended their removal on the basis of stated misbehavior and incompetence, pursuant to Article 146 (1) of the Constitution.

The provisions of Article 146 (9) of the Constitution require the President to act in accordance with the recommendations of the Committee.

The removal of the three (3) officials come at a time when the country is considering holding elections for MMDCEs and also a possible referendum for the creation of new regions as well as begin preparations for general elections in 2020.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GENERAL NEWS

One shot as sand winners clash with Okyeman taskforce at Adeiso

Published

on

By

 

Sand winners and Taskforce clash in Adeiso

One person has been shot in a clash between the Okyeman Environmental Protection task force and sand winners at Adeiso in the West Akyem Municipality in the Eastern region.

The task force stormed the Tank Akuraa community near Adeiso, arrested and handcuffed one Osae Kwame, a sand winner and threw him into a Nissan Pick Up but were pursued by the youth who rescued him.

Later the taskforce members attacked Summertide sand winning Company site at Obeng Yaw village, also near Adeiso, amidst the firing of guns and arrested five workers and shot one other.

Armed police responded to the distress calls about the incidents but the Taskforce failed to stop when signalled by Police.

They were given a hot chase but to no avail.

Information spread through the Communities leading to the youth mounting roadblocks and attacked the task force.

Sensing danger Okyeman Mponuahene, Barima Twum Tabriade and Okyeman Akwansrahene went to the Adeiso police station to seek refuge in a Jeep Patriot SUV with registration number GS9835-19 which had three tyres deflated.

The angry youth and sand winners massed up at the Police station seeking the release of the two chiefs for instant justice.

Due to the tension, Adeiso District Police command called on the Divisional Command for reinforcement to contain the situation.

A search in the Jeep SUV which belongs to Akwansrahene, Baffour Sarpong, contained one AK 47 assault rifle with 3 magazines and 7 Pump-action cartilages.

The five (5 ) suspects including the two chiefs were whisked to Asamankese Divisional Headquarters by the reinforcement team where they were granted Police enquiry bail.

The Public Relations Officer of the Eastern Regional Police Command, DSP Ebenezer Tetteh confirmed the incident.

He said the Regional Police Command has dispatched a team to the troubled area to help resolve the matter to restore calm.

Okyeman Environmental Protection Taskforce was formed over a decade ago to fight against illegal mining, illegal sand winning and illegal chainsawing.

Source: starrfm.com.gh

Continue Reading

CRIME & PUNISHMENT

Armed robbers attack another bullion van on Accra-Winneba road

Published

on

By

 

All passengers in the bullion van escaped unscathed and no property was stolen

•Armed robbers have attacked another bullion van on Accra-Winneba road

•A quick response of the Winneba Police Command has prevented the robbers from have a successful operation

•All passengers in the bullion van escaped unscathed and no property was stolen

The police in the Central region saved the day as armed robbers attacked a bullion van with registration number GN 6956-17 on Accra-Winneba road on Thursday, June 17, 2021.

The van which was attacked at Okyereko on the Winneba-Accra road was targeted by some armed men whose identities are unknown.

The robbers fired shots at the front passenger seat where the police escort sat. These shots ended up shattering the window area.

According to reports, the police escort ordered the driver to speed off upon observing the unusual movement of the robbers, while he called for reinforcement.

The Winneba Patrol team dispatched to Mpata Junction, rushed to the scene and started a gun battle with the robbers, overpowering them in the process.

All passengers in the bullion van escaped unharmed and no property was stolen.

The van has been sent to Winneber Police Custody for investigation.

This development comes after armed robbers shot to death, a police officer and an eyewitness, during a robbery incident involving a bullion van at Adedenkpo, a suburb of James Town in Accra, Monday, June 14.

Below are some tweets on the attack;

 

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

BUSINESS NEWS

British Airways rows back plan to switch Accra flights to Gatwick

Published

on

By

 

Passengers on the Accra – London route will land at Heathrow Airport

• British Airways rescinds decision to move Accra flights to Gatwick airport

•This came as a result of huge opposition from the Ghana government

• Passengers on the Accra – London route will land at Heathrow Airport

British Airways has bowed to pressure from the government of Ghana and rowed back on a plan to switch Accra flights from Heathrow to Gatwick.

Speaking to Citi Business News, the Public Relations Officer for the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), Eric Mireku Amaning, said Accra will continue to operate from the London Heathrow Airport from the IATA Winter 2021 Season.

This means passengers on the Accra-London route will land at Heathrow Airport instead of Gatwick Airport.

“Finally, the British Airways last week wrote to the Minister [of Transport] informing him that they have reconsidered their decision to move Accra flights to Gatwick. So our final destination will be Heathrow Airport and not Gatwick. So I think that the Minister of Transport did a yeoman’s job, and we need to commend him for that,” Eric Mireku Amaning added in an interview with Citi Business News.

“We’ve received great assurances from British Airways that we are not going to face this situation again and that Heathrow will continue to be our final destination if we’re travelling from Accra to London,” he added.

British Airways announced moving Ghana operations from the London Heathrow Airport to London Gatwick Airport.

When BA revealed its intention to shift the route from its main London hub to the Gatwick airport, Ghana’s Ministry of Aviation called the decision “unacceptable”. It threatened to reciprocate by forcing the airline to use an airport 100 miles from Accra.

Like Heathrow, Accra’s Kotoka International Airport was a Second World War RAF base that became a civilian facility in 1946.

Virgin Atlantic shared the Heathrow-Accra route with BA until 2013 when it pulled out blaming “exceptionally high fuel costs” at the West African airport.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021, The Press Radio Multimedia

Powered by Live Score & Live Score App