Connect with us

Franklin Cudjoe justifies latest lawsuit against Kelni GVG deal

Published

on

The President of Policy think tank IMANI Africa, Franklin Cudjoe, has justified the numerous lawsuits filed against the controversial Kelni GVG contract.

According to him, the court is their last hope of getting closure on the matter surrounding the deal.

IMANI Africa together with political pressure group, Citizen Ghana Movement, on Monday initiated processes at the Supreme Court to perpetually restrain the government and Kelni GVG from implementing the disputed Common Platform.

This suit came after a similar one already initiated by two Ghanaians at the court.

They in their suit raised concerns about Kelni GVG’s ability to protect the privacy of citizens.
Franklin Cudjoe had earlier urged the government to abrogate the $89 million contract, but his advise has been ignored.

Franklin Cudjoe in a Citi News interview suggested that the Communications Ministry has not been forthright with Ghanaians on the real extent of the scope of the contract hence the latest lawsuit.

The IMANI boss is hopeful that the Supreme Court will safeguard the overall public interest.

“Isn’t it curious that the Ministry began this whole enterprise by suggesting to us Ghanaians that there is no way that the GVG machine could be listening to our conversations? Then eventually after so many back and forth they come up and said, even though we did not want to do it, we’ve added an additional layer against possible listening into our conversations.”

“…So we think that the best place to go through is the court to determine whether this is the best way of deciding policy issues or not. We keep feeling sad that we haven’t heard a word yet from Kelni GVG, and that we don’t know who these Kelni GVG people are, and it is worrying that we are going to part with 178 million dollars with no work done,” he added.

In a related development, 3 other citizens; Selorm Brantie, Nana Ama Adom-Boakye Kanyi and John Ato Bonful are also inviting the High Court to nullify the contract.

They argue that the contract violates the Public Financial Mangement Act; rendering all payments made under it, illegal.

‘Privacy of Ghanaians assured’ – Hamid

Minister for Information, Dr. Mustapha Hamid, on Wednesday made a strong case for the implementation of the traffic monitoring, revenue assurance and mobile money monitoring Common Platform.

speaking on Citi TV’s Breakfast Daily, the Minister said a filtering system had been installed to protect the privacy of Ghanaians.

“There will be a day when we will not be here, and therefore we are also people who are concerned about our privacy. We cannot set up a system that allows people to listen to other people’s conversations, and I made that point clear to the telecom companies.”

Demand GVG deal documents in court

He also asked Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) demanding documents on the controversial Kelni GVG contract to go to court to have their concerns addressed.

According to him, the CSOs have a right to demand the contract documents in court, if the sector ministry is hesitant to make it available to them.

Some CSOs, including the Ghana Anti Corruption Coalition, wrote to request the contract details on the deal on May 30, 2018.

However, the Ministry of Communications in its response to the CSOs said the documents were not ready yet, saying “We are currently in the process of locating the available records.”

Speaking on Citi TV’s morning Show, Breakfast Daily, Minister for Information, Dr. Hamid, insisted that the CSOs can exercise their right by demanding access to these documents in court.

 

Source: citinewsroom.com

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SHOWBIZ KONKONSAH

Former Ghanaian dance champion Alex Ofori passes on

Published

on

By

 

The late Alex Ofori was a former Ghanaian National Dance Champion

•The late Alex Ofori was a choreographer and a fashion model

• He became much popular after winning the Ghana National Dance competition in 1988

• The late dancer has been eulogized by popular Ghanaian media personality, Mr. Kwasi Kyei Darkwa

Former Ghanaian National Dance Champion, Alex Ofori, has reportedly passed on.

The late Alex Ofori who shot to fame after winning the Ghana National Dance competition in 1988, has worked with the likes of Slim Buster, who won the championship in 1987, Ebenezer Ako Nai who also won in 1987, Terry Ofosu Bright, aka Sir Robot who won in 1989 and Reggie Rockstone among others.

Announcing his demise on Facebook on June 16, 2021, veteran broadcaster Kwesi Kyei Darkwa (KKD) stated that the dance champion brought so much excitement and joy to Ghanaians whenever he got on a stage or dance floor.

He also eulogized him paving the way for new dance talents the country currently possesses.

“Rest in peace ALEX OFORI, Former National Dance Champion- Great Embassy Double Do, Dancer-Choreographer & Fashion Model. You brought so much excitement & joy to our motherland wherever you got on a stage or dance floor. With the likes of World Dance Champion Adjetey Sowah, unique breakdancer Reginald Osei aka Reggie Rockstone, Show dancers Firekiller, Como Basto, Carlos Alberto, Tee Pee & many enthusiastic young talents of the 80s & 90s, you helped turn what was your passion into a mainstay of live shows & television entertainment. Today, those talents you shared with the world just for fun, your labor of love has become a popular profession.”

“You & your colleagues paved the way for the talent we enjoy in dance choreography at national events & in numerous music videos. Life: How unpredictable you are. & how fragile we are,” he wrote on Facebook.

It can be recalled that the late Alex Ofori once represented Ghana at the World Dance Championship series at the London Hippodrome.

Read the post below:

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

SHOWBIZ KONKONSAH

VIDEO: Kennedy Agyapong celebrates 61st birthday in Dubai with his 16 daughters

Published

on

By

 

Assin Central MP, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong celebrating his birthday with wife and children

• The Assin Central MP was swamped by his beautiful daughters at his 61st birthday party in Dubai

• Kennedy Agyapong turned 61 on June 16, 2021

• The lawmaker received and unwrapped some expensive gifts from his children

Assin Central MP, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong, joined his daughters in Dubai to celebrate his 61st birthday on June 16, 2021.

In a video making rounds on social media, the outspoken lawmaker was captured in a plush restaurant, swamped by his beautiful daughters and wife.

With the exception of Arnell, who is alleged to have been ‘disowned’ by Mr. Agyapong, the rest of his 16 beautiful daughters were seen seated at a dinner table with their father having a nice time.

Beaming with smiles, Mr. Agyapong one-by-one unwrapped the gifts presented to him by his children.

The all-white birthday party was climaxed with a kiss from his wife.

Watch the video below:

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

GENERAL NEWS

One shot as sand winners clash with Okyeman taskforce at Adeiso

Published

on

By

 

Sand winners and Taskforce clash in Adeiso

One person has been shot in a clash between the Okyeman Environmental Protection task force and sand winners at Adeiso in the West Akyem Municipality in the Eastern region.

The task force stormed the Tank Akuraa community near Adeiso, arrested and handcuffed one Osae Kwame, a sand winner and threw him into a Nissan Pick Up but were pursued by the youth who rescued him.

Later the taskforce members attacked Summertide sand winning Company site at Obeng Yaw village, also near Adeiso, amidst the firing of guns and arrested five workers and shot one other.

Armed police responded to the distress calls about the incidents but the Taskforce failed to stop when signalled by Police.

They were given a hot chase but to no avail.

Information spread through the Communities leading to the youth mounting roadblocks and attacked the task force.

Sensing danger Okyeman Mponuahene, Barima Twum Tabriade and Okyeman Akwansrahene went to the Adeiso police station to seek refuge in a Jeep Patriot SUV with registration number GS9835-19 which had three tyres deflated.

The angry youth and sand winners massed up at the Police station seeking the release of the two chiefs for instant justice.

Due to the tension, Adeiso District Police command called on the Divisional Command for reinforcement to contain the situation.

A search in the Jeep SUV which belongs to Akwansrahene, Baffour Sarpong, contained one AK 47 assault rifle with 3 magazines and 7 Pump-action cartilages.

The five (5 ) suspects including the two chiefs were whisked to Asamankese Divisional Headquarters by the reinforcement team where they were granted Police enquiry bail.

The Public Relations Officer of the Eastern Regional Police Command, DSP Ebenezer Tetteh confirmed the incident.

He said the Regional Police Command has dispatched a team to the troubled area to help resolve the matter to restore calm.

Okyeman Environmental Protection Taskforce was formed over a decade ago to fight against illegal mining, illegal sand winning and illegal chainsawing.

Source: starrfm.com.gh

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021, The Press Radio Multimedia

Powered by Live Score & Live Score App