Connect with us

GVG deal: ‘Privacy of Ghanaians assured’ – Mustapha Hamid

Published

on

Minister for Information, Dr Mustapha Hamid, has made a strong case for the implementation of the traffic monitoring, revenue assurance and mobile money monitoring Common Platform.

His defence follows a lawsuit by Citizen Ghana, IMANI Africa, and some three individuals who are seeking among others an interlocutory injunction on the implementation of the common platform.

The plaintiffs have raised concerns over Kelni GVG’s ability to protect the privacy of citizens. However speaking on Citi TV’s Breakfast Daily, the Minister said a filtering system had been installed to protect the privacy of Ghanaians.

“There will be a day when we will not be here, and therefore we are also people who are concerned about our privacy. We cannot set up a system that allows people to listen to other people’s conversations and I made that point clear to the telecom companies.”

Demand GVG deal documents in court 

He also asked Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) demanding documents on the controversial Kelni GVG contract to go to court to have their concerns addressed.

According to him, the CSOs have a right to demand the contract documents in court, if the sector ministry is hesitant to do so.

Some CSOs, including the Ghana Anti Corruption Coalition, wrote to request the contract details on the deal on May 30, 2018.

However, the Ministry of Communications in its response to the CSOs said the documents were not ready yet, saying “We are currently in the process of locating the available records.”

Speaking on Citi TV’s morning Show, Breakfast Daily, Minister for Information, Dr Hamid, insisted that the CSOs can exercise their right by demanding access to these documents in court.

“She [Ursula Owusu- Ekuful ] has to also exercise her discretion as Minister, so when somebody asks her for information, the fellow has to, first of all, has a right to go to court to demand that information. People think that even without the Right to Information law, you cannot demand information from government agencies and officers.

“You can, and if they refuse, you have the right to go to court per the 1992 constitution to compel them to give you that information. If she took a strategic decision not to give the document, it is for the people to go to court to compel them to give them the information,” Mr Hamid argued.

 

Source: citinewsroom.com

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SHOWBIZ KONKONSAH

VIDEO: Kennedy Agyapong celebrates 61st birthday in Dubai with his 16 daughters

Published

on

By

 

Assin Central MP, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong celebrating his birthday with wife and children

• The Assin Central MP was swamped by his beautiful daughters at his 61st birthday party in Dubai

• Kennedy Agyapong turned 61 on June 16, 2021

• The lawmaker received and unwrapped some expensive gifts from his children

Assin Central MP, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong, joined his daughters in Dubai to celebrate his 61st birthday on June 16, 2021.

In a video making rounds on social media, the outspoken lawmaker was captured in a plush restaurant, swamped by his beautiful daughters and wife.

With the exception of Arnell, who is alleged to have been ‘disowned’ by Mr. Agyapong, the rest of his 16 beautiful daughters were seen seated at a dinner table with their father having a nice time.

Beaming with smiles, Mr. Agyapong one-by-one unwrapped the gifts presented to him by his children.

The all-white birthday party was climaxed with a kiss from his wife.

Watch the video below:

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

GENERAL NEWS

One shot as sand winners clash with Okyeman taskforce at Adeiso

Published

on

By

 

Sand winners and Taskforce clash in Adeiso

One person has been shot in a clash between the Okyeman Environmental Protection task force and sand winners at Adeiso in the West Akyem Municipality in the Eastern region.

The task force stormed the Tank Akuraa community near Adeiso, arrested and handcuffed one Osae Kwame, a sand winner and threw him into a Nissan Pick Up but were pursued by the youth who rescued him.

Later the taskforce members attacked Summertide sand winning Company site at Obeng Yaw village, also near Adeiso, amidst the firing of guns and arrested five workers and shot one other.

Armed police responded to the distress calls about the incidents but the Taskforce failed to stop when signalled by Police.

They were given a hot chase but to no avail.

Information spread through the Communities leading to the youth mounting roadblocks and attacked the task force.

Sensing danger Okyeman Mponuahene, Barima Twum Tabriade and Okyeman Akwansrahene went to the Adeiso police station to seek refuge in a Jeep Patriot SUV with registration number GS9835-19 which had three tyres deflated.

The angry youth and sand winners massed up at the Police station seeking the release of the two chiefs for instant justice.

Due to the tension, Adeiso District Police command called on the Divisional Command for reinforcement to contain the situation.

A search in the Jeep SUV which belongs to Akwansrahene, Baffour Sarpong, contained one AK 47 assault rifle with 3 magazines and 7 Pump-action cartilages.

The five (5 ) suspects including the two chiefs were whisked to Asamankese Divisional Headquarters by the reinforcement team where they were granted Police enquiry bail.

The Public Relations Officer of the Eastern Regional Police Command, DSP Ebenezer Tetteh confirmed the incident.

He said the Regional Police Command has dispatched a team to the troubled area to help resolve the matter to restore calm.

Okyeman Environmental Protection Taskforce was formed over a decade ago to fight against illegal mining, illegal sand winning and illegal chainsawing.

Source: starrfm.com.gh

Continue Reading

CRIME & PUNISHMENT

Armed robbers attack another bullion van on Accra-Winneba road

Published

on

By

 

All passengers in the bullion van escaped unscathed and no property was stolen

•Armed robbers have attacked another bullion van on Accra-Winneba road

•A quick response of the Winneba Police Command has prevented the robbers from have a successful operation

•All passengers in the bullion van escaped unscathed and no property was stolen

The police in the Central region saved the day as armed robbers attacked a bullion van with registration number GN 6956-17 on Accra-Winneba road on Thursday, June 17, 2021.

The van which was attacked at Okyereko on the Winneba-Accra road was targeted by some armed men whose identities are unknown.

The robbers fired shots at the front passenger seat where the police escort sat. These shots ended up shattering the window area.

According to reports, the police escort ordered the driver to speed off upon observing the unusual movement of the robbers, while he called for reinforcement.

The Winneba Patrol team dispatched to Mpata Junction, rushed to the scene and started a gun battle with the robbers, overpowering them in the process.

All passengers in the bullion van escaped unharmed and no property was stolen.

The van has been sent to Winneber Police Custody for investigation.

This development comes after armed robbers shot to death, a police officer and an eyewitness, during a robbery incident involving a bullion van at Adedenkpo, a suburb of James Town in Accra, Monday, June 14.

Below are some tweets on the attack;

 

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021, The Press Radio Multimedia

Powered by Live Score & Live Score App